Thursday, December 31, 2015

FISHING STORIES: Interview with Ray Cummings III, Nyack College Alum and Angler




[The Nyack College Fishing Club recently had the pleasure of meeting Ray at Nyack College Homecoming 2015. Ray is a Nyack College alum AND an avid fishermen! We asked Ray if he could share a bit about his fishing life back home in the northern part of the Hudson Valley (about 50 miles North of Nyack). We are grateful to Ray for his time, expertise, and passion! Looking forward to making fishing memories with you Ray!]




NCFC: What do you enjoy about fishing the Hudson River? 
Ray III: New York has a fantastic variety of fisheries. From what I see the majority of you guys fish the Hudson River which has an incredible diversity of fish species (I believe over 200) so I won't get into the details of the Hudson because I believe for the most part - you guys are far more educated on the Hudson than I am! The other wonderful part of being a New York Fisherman is that we fish year round for the most part. 

NCFC: What types of fishing do you enjoy?
Ray III: I personally do not enjoy ice fishing, probably more so just because I've never given it a chance - it seems to be more of a drinking game than actual fishing! ;)  I am an avid fly fisherman.

NCFC: What does your typical fishing season look like up north?
Ray III: My typical fishing season looks something like this: January-Early May: WinterSpring/Spawning Steelhead Trout in the Salmon River (Pulaski,NY) April-May: Brook/Brown/Rainbow Trout in local streams and rivers - we also have the famous Striper run in the Hudson River which many of you are familiar with May-June (and all summer) - Brown/Lake Trout - Rondout Reservoir and Largemouth Bass in local lakes and ponds July-August - Smallmouth Bass / Common Carp (one of my flyrod favorites!) Late August - Late October: Salmon/Brown Trout/Steelhead Trout in the Salmon River Late October - December (Until the river freezes over) - Brown Trout/ and Fall/Winter Steelhead Trout (The photo is in seasonal order right to left) 



NCFC: Any lasting words of wisdom for our Nyack College Fishing Club members (esp. new anglers)?
Ray III: I only share this with you to encourage your journey into the angler life! I say journey because it literally NEVER ends. It's a wonderful addiction (beware, it IS an addiction!) that will benefit your soul ten-fold given the amount of time you get to spend in God's beautiful creation! I do intend to meet each of you eventually as I would love to be involved in any capacity possible. 

NCFC: What's next in fishing for you Ray?
Ray III: I am currently in the works of creating a fully operational fishing and adventure guide service and I would be more than excited to help you make your fishing dreams come true! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me for anything fishing related!

No comments:

Post a Comment